Bicycles are convenient, aren’t they?
But if you aren’t aware of the correct rules, you could have an accident or get into trouble with pedestrians or drivers.
Have a think back...
Have you been cycling on the pavement?
Or maybe you’ve run a red light, thinking, “oh well, nevermind.”
• 1 in 5 traffic accidents in the city involves a bicycle. And in 70% of those cases, the cyclist is in violation of the rules.
• If you have an accident, you may be seriously injured.
• There are many traffic rules that must be followed in the same way as cars.
• There is a booklet called "Basic Bicycle Rules", which is a collection of the most important rules.
• A foreign language version is available too.
Also, are you covered by bicycle insurance?
• When you ride a bicycle in the city, you are required to take out bicycle insurance.
• Policies start at around 1,500 yen per year.
• In an accident, you could injure not only yourself but also the other party.
• Be sure to take out bicycle insurance just in case.
Finally, if you park your bicycle in a public place such as a plaza or on the road, it will get in everyone’s way, and may therefore be moved as an illegally parked bicycle.
• When parking up, don’t forget to head to a bicycle parking lot!