This week’s edition is on promoting safe cycling.
When riding bicycles, please follow the traffic rules and cycle safely.
1) The basic rule for bicycles is that they must be used on the road. Cycling on the pavement is the exception, not the rule.
2) Please cycle on the left hand side of the road.
3) On the pavement, pedestrians have right of way. Cyclists should be on the side nearest the road.
4) Cycling under the influence of alcohol, riding double, and riding side-by-side, is prohibited. At night, be sure to use lights on your bicycle.
5) Make sure that children are wearing helmets.
At intersections, abide by the traffic lights and check for safety.
The section in charge at Minato City Hall is the Community Transportation Subsection of the Community Transportation Section.
Next, a call for Minato City international disaster relief volunteers.
Minato City is seeking international disaster relief volunteers to provide foreign nationals with accurate information and to help foreigners who require support,
in the event of a disaster.
Those eligible are people who can do the following:
- perform interpretation and translation of foreign languages and Japanese,
- attend training which is conducted in Japanese,
be contacted via email,
conduct volunteer activities when a disaster strikes.
Volunteer activities cover:
[In the event of a disaster] interpretation at places such as evacuation shelters set up in Minato City and consultation desks for foreign nationals, as well as translation of disaster information,
[During normal times] interpretation at disaster prevention drills and events.
To apply, please download the application form from the Minato City website, fill it in, and submit it by post or in person to the Global Community Planning Subsection of the Community Promotion Section at Minato City Hall.
Enquiries can also be made to this section. Please call 03-3578-2565.